From Fleapit to Multiplex
The story of Ashton-under-Lyne’s cinemas begins with the town’s first film presentation at the Tivoli Music Hall in 1896 and continues through to the modern 14 screen multiplex at the Ashton Moss Leisure Park. This edition of ‘Flickering Memories’ is expanded and updated from the original 1995 publication. It now includes the final years of the Metro Cinema and its eventual closure along with the end of the film shows at the Tameside Hippodrome. The town’s cinema-going heyday was in the 1920s and 30s when Ashton supported nine cinemas. There was the luxury of the lavish ‘picture palaces’ like the Majestic with its orchestra, lounge and cafe or the simpler pleasures of the wooden seated ‘Bunnydrome’, as the Ryecroft Cinema was nicknamed. From a post-war high in the mid-1940s the town’s cinema business steadily declined with closures coming most notably in the 1960s and 1970s. The last to close being the Metro Cinema in 2003 the same year that saw the arrival of the Cineworld multiplex. This new volume features additional text to the original chapters along with extra illustrations. Also included is the original foreword by comedian and film expert the late Bob Monkhouse.